Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fall In Love With God This Lent


I recently was sitting at Panera Bread with some of my friends. We were talking about foods we enjoyed, when it came up that there are certain foods that are unique. Macaroni and cheese for example, or French onion soup are both very uniquely made by whoever is making them. Have you ever had macaroni that tasted the same from two different people? I’m no culinary expert, but I know that many people pour their heart and soul into making the macaroni that comes to my table for me to enjoy.
            Holy uniqueness is term I like to use to describe the personhood of us all. We are unique and it is holy. God, the creator poured God’s heart and being into our beings, we are fearfully and wonderfully made. We are beautiful. That certainly doesn’t mean that terrible things won’t happen to the faithful or anyone for that matter. What it does mean is that God has created something beautiful, so why can’t we appreciate that beauty?
            During this season of Lent as we prepare for Good Friday, let us all be mindful of what God is doing in this beautiful and sometimes messy existence. God works, creates, and restores within our hearts and souls. Why not take the messy existence of Good Friday and make it into a beautiful thing like Easter? It is my belief that we are all about being a people who are moving between the Good Friday’s of our lives and the Easter’s of our very existence. But God in majesty and grace makes sure that Easter wins.
            One of my all-time favorite movies is the 2007 film, P.S. I Love You. This wonderful film chronicles the journey of a couple in love. Gerry, the husband falls ill with a terminal disease. Before he dies he writes letters to his love, explaining to her that she must fall in love again, that she in fact must find newness amidst all the pain. In his final letter to her he writes, thank you for the honor of being my wife. I'm a man with no regrets. How lucky am I. You made my life, Holly. But I'm just one chapter in yours. There'll be more. I promise. So here it comes, the big one. Don't be afraid to fall in love again. Watch out for that signal, when life as you know it ends. P.S. I will always love you.”
            People of faith, this Lenten season why not fall in love with God? Whether it is the first time, or over again, fall in love with God. Why not watch for that awe-inspiring signal when God is at work and you fall in love with what is going on? God lets us know that our life as we know it ends, God lets us knows that everything changes and that’s ok. God loves our holy uniqueness and we can too. Enjoy the beauty of your life, and the beauty of God in that life. Life is so incredibly precious. God knows that, and when all has been said and all has been done, God comes and whispers to us, “P.S I love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment