Tuesday, December 17, 2013

My Interview with Stanley Hauerwas






A few years back I had the opportunity to interview Dr. Stanley Hauerwas via email for the Record and Landmark. While the interview was never published I hope to publish it here, I am reminded ever so presently of his influence on my own theological reflection, and I hope you find it meaningful. 


Dear Rob,

Here are my short responses to your questions. These are good questions, by the way.


1. Rob: Dr. Hauerwas, in one of your pieces, The Ethicist as Theologian you speak of humor being is important to theological reflection. How do you feel about the issue of theology and humor? How do they co-exist?

Hauerwas: The relation between theology and humor is very simple: what could be more humorous than theologians thinking they can say something interesting about God. God surely laughs at our efforts. I think it’s probably true that you shouldn’t trust a theologian who doesn’t have a good sense of humor. Theology and humor must co-exist.

2 Rob: How has the church embarrassed you in your beliefs? We all find times when we cringe at what the church has done, how does that pertain to your personal walk of faith?

Hauerwas: I’m not sure I’ve thought of the church embarrassing my beliefs. But I often worry if I embarrass faithful Christians. I do, of course, worry about the accommodated character of the church. But in that same accommodated church I often discover lives that put my own life in perspective. So God is great, able to raise up faithful Christians even in the midst of a severely compromised church.

3. Rob: How can a person or church in a small town truthfully hold fast to theological ethics within the context of the greater community? 
        
      Hauerwas:Well, smallness doesn’t necessarily mean “narrow”. It can mean locality which allows for the development of practical reason and judgment that cannot be known elsewhere. So I say, take advantage of locality.
     
     4. Rob: At Duke, you teach a course on John Howard Yoder's the politics of Jesus. Yoder's work is phenomenal and lays claim to Jesus' response to the social behavior of his disciples. How do you think that Jesus would respond to the social behavior of modern day Christians? 

      Hauerwas: I suspect Jesus would think that those who call ourselves Christians are pretty close to those he identifies in the gospel of Matthew as scribes and Pharisees. It’s a harsh judgment, but it’s one I fear is unavoidable.

      5. Rob: Finally, Dr. Hauerwas, death and dying seem to be on the headlines of news these days. Society is fascinated by it, but how should the church respond to the issues of death and dying? I know you have done significant research in this as an issue of ethical behavior, and I hope this isn't too forward but how do you see death coming for you? How can a Christian live a life ready for death? 
      
      Hauerwas:  I’m not sure if Christians today can live lives such that they are ready to die. We simply no longer know how to do that. We can, however, keep before us that we are a people shaped by martyrdom. That can never be forgotten. Just to the extent that we remember this we continue to have hope that we too will be faithful as we face death.





No comments:

Post a Comment