Sunday, July 26, 2015

God Loves Leftovers: A Sermon Preached by the Reverend Rob Lee

God Loves Leftovers
John 6:1-21
July 26th, 2015
FBC|WJ

I don’t like today. I don’t like that this is my next to last Sunday with you all. Also, I don’t like leftovers, ask my family or my bread breakers small group and they will tell you I don’t do leftovers. But isn’t it funny, how God takes us precisely where we do not wish to go, and meets us there. 

Do not be afraid. Do not be afraid. These words have shown up in Scripture where the person or people receiving these words should probably have been quite afraid. Abram was told not to be afraid, Moses, Joshua, Samuel, Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Zechariah, the Virgin Mary, Joseph, shepherds in the fields keeping watch over their flocks by night are all told not to be afraid. We’re in good company with today’s lectionary reading.
Today we hear two very distinct stories in the Gospel of John. We hear of the five loaves and two fish, and we hear the disciples getting in a boat and having to face Jesus amidst the sea and the storm. Jesus says to them in the sea and wind and the rain, “Do not be afraid.” Now the funny part of it is, he says it while walking on water.
Jesus walking on water telling people not to be afraid; I wonder what he was telling them not to be afraid of, the storm or the fact that there was a human being out in the middle of the sea walking towards them. Do not be afraid. I think that’s easy for Jesus to say, I think it’s easy for the angels to say to those they encounter with news that changes the course of human history. But as with anything it’s a lot harder to be on the receiving end of that do not be afraid nonsense, right. In fact, if you tell people do not be afraid it might actually create more anxiety and fear in the culture in which we live.
So I wanted to ask you today, given the text we just heard what scares you most? What scares you the most in life? Is it death? Is it loss? Is it depression? Is it something that is too dark to even speak its name in this place? How have you dealt with that fear and anxiety and unrest in your life? These are all questions that we face on sometimes a day-to-day basis. And I think we can face them with dignity and with grace by weaving these two seemingly unrelated stories together.
12 baskets left over. That’s an abundant amount of leftovers. And I love how Jesus commands in verse 12 of the lectionary that we heard today, “Gather up the fragments leftover, so that nothing may be lost.” Nothing may be lost. God loves leftovers, and frankly these emotions of fear and anxiety and defeat over our earthly lives are things we’d like to leave in the leftover pile. But that, my friends is where God does God’s best work.
You see the funny thing about fear is that it has power over us, it controls us, it manipulates us into the thing that fear wants us to be or to feel. But there in the moments of the stormiest night the disciples had faced thus far Jesus comes and says to them, “Do not be afraid.” Jesus takes control of their fear by calling it as it is. And in so doing he frees the disciples to experience the warmth of his presence.
We too, experience this same phenomenon. We too experience the warming presence of a loving God in our most fearful moments. For in our most anxiety-ridden experiences God is showing up saying, “Do not be afraid, it is I.” God takes the fear that we’d like to leave behind and God confronts it head on. We too must do the same and follow in God’s footsteps
Now you might say to yourself that certainly can’t be true, preacher. I’m not sure about this God stuff anyway but to say that God meets us in our fear is preposterous. I hear what you’re saying because I too feel that sometimes when I am most scared I couldn’t be farther away from a living and loving God. But then I just have to remind myself to let Jesus walk on my water. Let Jesus trample out the fear and the despair and the heartache, and yes even death itself.
I’ve wondered about all the times I’ve been told not to be afraid. Certainly after car accidents and hospital visits warrant the normal exchange of encouragement not to fear. But I’ve also had to say this phrase, “Do not be afraid.” so many times this past week in every day affairs just to myself. You see this past week I’ve had to come to terms with my time coming to an end in this place and in Boone. I’ve been crossing off Boone Bucket list items with friends such as going to Tweetsie Railroad one more time and eating one more time at the Daniel Boone Inn before we all go our separate ways. I’m having to come to terms with leaving Stephanie here in Boone while I head to Durham, I’ve had to come to terms with saying goodbye to my friend Natalie who is moving to San Antonio, I’ve had to come to terms with saying goodbye to you all here in this place two Sundays from now.
But the other day as I was cleaning out and getting ready for the move I found a piece of paper that has been my guiding light for some time. I received this piece of paper around the time my friend Abbey died years ago and to this day it keeps popping up when I need it most. It has words such as these, “Do not look forward in fear to the changes in life; rather look to them with full hope that as they arise, God, whose very own you are will lead you safely through all things; and when you cannot stand it, God will carry you in his arms. Do not fear what may happen tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares for you today will take care of you then and every day. He will either shield you from suffering, or will give you unfailing strength to bear it. Be at peace and put aside all anxious thoughts and imaginations.”
Do not be afraid. Do not be afraid dear people of God because God loves leftovers like you and me. God loves leftovers because there is room for everyone at the table of grace. And there, at the table of grace we are more than leftovers, we are welcomed guests at a banquet fit for the children of God.
Do not be afraid. You all know how I have to deal with extreme anxiety. Ask Stephanie or my parents or anyone close to me and they know that even the slightest thing can set me off. But I’m learning, quite literally to practice what I preach and not fear the future or the past but to relish the moment we have been given. When we let Jesus walk on our water, it changes everything. It changes our perception of grace and that is precisely what we need. We need to see Jesus on the water for it is there that we realize that the Savior of the world can face the worst the world can throw at him and he can take it. Even if that means going to a cross Jesus took the brunt force of everything we could give him and shrugged it off three days later. So we can face our time and our place with faith and without fear because Christ is risen, Christ is risen indeed.
            When I was in middle school I went to a private conservative Christian School where my classmates felt it more fun to mess with this crazy Methodist church nerd than it was to play on the playground. One girl in particular had it out for me. She wanted to prove to me that everything that I knew to be true about a loving God was wrong. And I’ll never forget one conversation she tried to have with me. She told me it was a sin to fear. She argued that in Philippians, Paul commands us to not worry or fear anything. Now obviously I’d like to say I won that theological argument but I didn’t have an answer for her. I just thought she was right and that fear is something that should be avoided at all costs.
            That was until I realized Jesus himself experienced fear. Jesus knew what it was like the night before he gave himself up for us when he went to the garden alone. So Jesus knows and Jesus meets us in our fear and Jesus feeds our fear, with faith. Just as he fed those hungry masses millennia ago we are fed too. We are fed with the words and with the comfort that we are not alone. We are God’s. And in belonging to God, we are no longer leftovers but a chosen and cherished people. So maybe now, I can like leftovers, maybe now, I can appreciate today. Do not be afraid, do not be afraid. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment